Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Keep In Touch With Old-Fashioned Calling Cards

In times past there was a Victorian tradition of passing out calling cards to friends and acquaintances. All it would have on it would be your name, in script. When someone would visit a neighbor or acquaintance a card would be given to the butler, or whoever else answered, and the person would be announced if the owner of the home was there. If the person was not home the card was placed on a tray and left, usually in the foyer for the person to see when they returned home. This tradition slowly died out with the use of the telephone and new we have the internet where people can stay in touch. It seems though that this tradition may be having a comeback. Karen Wiggins, owner of Not Just Stationary in Gainseville, GA. said calling cards are a common item ordered at her stationary store. "A lot of times, once people are retired...instead of writing down their name and their number for people who they meet and keep in touch with them, they'll have a card made."she said. With their name and phone number or address, so they can give it to their acquaintances so they can keep in touch. They are a more casual alternative to business cards, and have been used by children and parents. With today's always on the run, rat race, on-the-go living, old fashioned calling cards are becoming the latest trend once more.
Source: Gainsevilletimes.com/archives/21205, July17,2009, by Ashley Bates

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I have some of those. My old ones were my favorites but the info is all wrong now. The newest ones...free from the Kodak photo website just have my name on the front (with a photo I took) and room for me to write on the back..for sharing phone number, email addy or whatever. I like this way better in that I can use them in service and NOT give out too much personal info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asta, I like this idea too...I got to thinking about how we use business cards now, but the old way of handing out a calling card really appealed to me and that is why I wrote this blog on that. Some of the old ways are still the best ways I feel!

    ReplyDelete